Ecclesiastical

St. Mel’s Cathedral, Longford

Project:St. Mels’ Cathedral, Longford
Client:St. Mel’s Diocesan Trust
Value:€20m
Project Status:Complete
BMP Role:On this project we provided full Quantity Surveying Services.
Architect:Fitzgerald Kavanagh & Partners
Description: St. Mel’s Cathedral, a protected structure built between 1840 and 1893, was severly damaged by fire on the 25th December 2009 in which the interior of the building together with the roof and timber floors were completely destroyed.

The conservation and reinstatement of the Cathedral building included replacement of all floors, new roof structure and natural slate roof coverings, stone columns, repairs to stonework internally and externally, replacement of stained glass windows, lime plaster to existing masonry walls, replacement of floor finishes, feature plastered ceiling to match existing, full mechanical and electrical installations and replacement of organ.

This 5 year project of conservation and restoration contains a huge number of similarities to this proposed project albeit on a larger scale – the refurbished building was a protected structure, in a prominent town location with all the subsequent issues of access and site organisation.

The construction project included a large number of conservation methodologies within the main contractors remit which has to be properly described within the tender documents and bill of quantities. The project contained significant repair and replacement of stonework – cladding, pillars, etc., structural replacement of the existing timber roof structure and replacement of lime plaster barrel vault ceilings with embellishments.

Due to the nature of the project, it was necessary carry out the works in a number of separate packages – Investigation Works, Enabling Works and Construction Phases 1 – 5. There was a huge number of specialist sub-contractor packages which entailed careful negotiation and monitoring on site.

The project once completed was fully opened to the public and provided a modern restoration of an historic building which integrated new services (power, lighting, WiFi, IT, etc.) within the existing structure.

See More Projects Like This:


See All Projects

Share this Project